Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Monday 1 June 2015

You'll Never Eat Cake Alone!

It was a year ago that I made the Minecraft cake, same recipient - one year older and this year it's all about the football! This one needed to be in the shape of a shirt, it had to be Liverpool and it had to have his name and age on the cake.

Firstly, I made 2 square chocolate cakes


I drew the shape of a shirt onto some baking parchment and cut it out as a template to cut around


Whilst the icing in the middle of the cake set, I coloured the roll out icing and covered the cake board, which would form the football pitch that the cake would go on


I then covered the cake in red roll out icing and placed it on the board, ready to start making the fiddly parts of the decoration!


Firstly, I cut the name and age out of icing, I needed to do this to make sure that I had enough room for the Liverpool logo on the right of the shirt. Happy with the size and positioning, I made the Liver Bird and painted it yellow. That bird probably took the most time to make out of everything, as the feathers were made separately to get the right shape of the wings. I then made the weird W thing on the left, which was fairly simple to make.


I then needed to make the Liverpool scarf to go around the top of the cake, I made it all in a long strip separately and added the letters and tassels before draping it on the cake board.


Next I needed to make the strips of icing to make up the football field. In hindsight, I probably should have done this before I draped the scarf onto the board, but we live and learn.



Then it was done! I was pleased with the finish of the cake, even though I am not a particularly big football fan, it was fun to make. I had no real meltdown moments, aside from really wanting some alphabet cutters part way through creating the name and realising that I still had Liverpool FC to spell out!


The best thing about this cake is the recipient's enjoyment of it, they loved it :)

Total Time Spent: 5 Hours
Useful Tips Gained: Always finish the board background before placing cake and items on top because working around such things is a pain
Items to Purchase: More colours - I'm almost out!
Items Added to Wishlist: Alphabet and Number cutters!
Miscellaneous Items Wished For: None



No comments:

Post a Comment