Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Monday 1 June 2015

A Very Merry Unbirthday Cake!

This cake was quite literally an Unbirthday Cake! We had a themed Alice in Wonderland dress down charity day at work, after a fair few ridiculously outrageous ideas from Gav (that included a 3 tier cake at one point!), we came up with this plan. Which possibly turned out to be one of my best cakes yet,

I made 4 circular cakes, 2 chocolate and 2 plain. I cut a hole in the middle of 2 of them (one of each)



I made a green icing because I thought it would have a crazy look when you cut into the cake. When icing it all together, I placed M&Ms into the middle of the hole and continued icing up the layers to create a jaunty hat shape. 


To smooth it all out, I covered the cake in green icing and placed it in the freezer to firm up before being able to cover it in royal icing later.

 

Whilst the cake was in the freezer for a bit, I spent time making the cake board look a little crazy. I cut out squares and painted every other one black, like a chess board.


That actually took ages, by the time I had finished, I was able to take the cake from the freezer and cover it in royal icing.


I placed the cake on the board and rolled out a circular rim for the hat, then turned up each side


With the heavy duty stuff done it was time to start on the many details of the cake! Firstly, the Mad Hatter has to have the card in his hat. This was the first thing that needed to be made. I simply cut a rectangular piece of icing and used the edible pen to write the numbers and stuck it to the side of the cake. I then cut a long piece of yellow icing for the ribbon to go around the hat.


For some reason, the first thing that I think of when I think of Alice in Wonderland are the Card Men, they just jump to mind. I decided to make them next, it was a good job I did because they took absolutely ages to finish. I made three of them in the end, an Ace of Hearts, 2 of Spades and a 3 of Diamonds


After spending so much time on the 2D Card Men, I wanted to work on something a bit different next. He was not in my original plan, but how could you have an Alice in Wonderland themed cake and not have the amazing Caterpillar? I made his body out of separate sections and moulded the lighter blue on top for his pale tummy. I formed his arms and legs and added the little yellow shoes he wears, then drew on his face. He needed a stick to keep him together, but he looked pretty cool lounging against the hat.


It was at this point when I realised that it was getting particularly late and that I needed to start finishing off the cake, but there were still things to do! The only thing for it was to enlist the help of Gav :)

I created the crazy singing flowers on one side of the hat. I just cut the pansy shape out of the icing and painted two tone colours to make them look like flowers, then drew their faces on. I then added the shrubbery later


Whilst I was busy creating the flowers, Gav got creative with one of the best characters, that quite frankly, had to make some kind of appearance (or disappearance depending on how you look at it). The smile was cut out of white royal icing with the teeth drawn on and then he made the eyes but cutting out circles of yellow and painted the black pupils.


This was all starting to come together, after hours of work, the end was in sight


Just a few more minor details as the icing on the cake (pun intended!)
I then made some roses out of white royal icing, which Gav then painted red as the Card Men did 


Finally just a little quote scrawled on the tiled flooring to say that We're All Mad Here


Then it was finally finished! Because it took so long, here's a picture from every possible angle! 




 
This was the inside of the cake - pretty crazy and cool eh?


I was very proud of this cake, not only was it fun to make (despite how long it took), but the little parts were all really enjoyable to put together and I even got Gav involved in the process :)

Total Time Spent: 8.5 Hours
Useful Tips Gained: Covering the board in the same theme can be super effective and this one really proves it
Items to Purchase: More black colouring!]
Items Added to Wishlist: Ribbon cutter, for no real reason other than I want one
Miscellaneous Items Wished For: None




No comments:

Post a Comment