Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Monday 1 June 2015

Under the Sea Birthday!

I am more than aware that I am terrible at keeping my posts up to date, I do aim to do better, especially considering that I made this particular cake for my sister in March!

I was inspired to make this themed cake as it has been a favourite film of my sister and I for many years, I have memories when I was very young of watching The Little Mermaid over and over again. It just made sense to create it on a cake for my big sister.

So I started off by making the cake, it was a three layer cake and it was blue on the inside. I covered it in blue icing for the under the sea colouring and I had my base!


I decided to start on the most complicated part of the cake, the part that I was most worried about - Ariel herself. I wanted to create her swimming towards the outside of the cake. I created her head, chest and arms out of the skin colour I made.


I then created her fabulous hair around her body, it needed to be floating and free to give the impression of her swimming underwater



Happy with the shape, I stuck her onto the side of the cake and painted her hair, adding another layer behind her.


I then created some decoration around the cake, including some sea plants, starfish and Ursula's reaching tentacles.



I roughly coloured some icing green, I did not want it to be completely mixed in as I wanted the lined marbled impression for the tail fin. I cut two leaf shape patterns and made the tail itself.


Using some white roll out icing, I created the shape of her tail and used a cocktail stick to mark on the scales. I then painted the tail and placed it on the cake.



I really liked how it gave the impression of Ariel swimming in and out of the cake, it worked out so well. I was really pleased with it - so was my sister :)



Total Time Spent: 6 Hours
Useful Tips Gained: Do not be afraid of 3D modelling
Items to Purchase: None
Items Added to Wishlist: None
Miscellaneous Items Wished For: None

No comments:

Post a Comment