Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Friday 1 November 2013

Spicy Chocolate Mashed Potato Cupcakes

I start this post with some good news - I bought a sieve!! Now that is out of the way, on to other things...

Every month we have a dress down day and cake day at work, proceeds go to charity, it was our team's turn to bake, I chose this recipe. It is a Delia Smith recipe that I came across whilst looking for more recipes that use mashed potato in cakes (mashed potato in cake is an odd concept, I know, but it's surprisingly delicious) and I came across this one.

Ingredients:
For the cake:
75g Dark Chocolate
50g Condensed Milk
50g Light Muscovado Sugar
75g Butter
110g Mashed Potato
110g Self Raising Flour
1tsp Baking Powder
1 Large Egg
1tsp Chinese Five Spice
For the icing:
75g Milk Chocolate
75g Condensed Milk
10g Butter

I began by preparing the mashed potato, peeled, boiled and mashed - using no salt, no milk and no butter in the mashing process. I then left it to cool. I misjudged the amount of potato slightly and ended up with quite a bit more mash than I had intended, but that was okay because Delia said you can freeze it and use for another time - Yay!



When it was cooled I started on the rest of the baking, by melting together the dark chocolate, condensed milk, sugar and butter in a bowl over a pan of water (using a metal spoon because for some reason it has been ingrained in by brain to always use a metal spoon when working with melted chocolate, I'm not even sure where I got that information from, possibly Mum).



Once it was all melted I combined the rest of the ingredients, only I would avoid my little trick of throwing half of the mashed potato on the floor when weighing it out. It turns out that it's messy and the time it takes to clear it up eats into your baking time, the brightside is that, because I made too much, I still had plenty left to bake with - no need for those freezer bags after all! 

Then I gently folded in the chocolate melted goodness and spooned into cases, popped into the oven and baked for about 15 minutes. 



After washing things up, because I realised that I'd used a considerable amount of bowls already, I got to work on the icing. This again involved melting the chocolate, condensed milk and butter in a bowl over a pan of boiling water, once it had cooled slightly, I iced the cupcakes and topped them with grated white chocolate.



They were received with mixed feelings. Some absolutely loved them, whilst others absolutely hated them. I fall into the latter category, my opinion on chocolate is that it is perfect already, why tamper with an amazing taste? But then again, I do not bake for myself. 

The mashed potato cakes that I have made previously have been completely gluten free, as the potato is supposed to replace the flour, so I was a little confused as to why this recipe has both. All in all, I am not rushing to put one of Delia's recipe books onto my Amazon wishlist, however it's not to say that I will not try another one of her recipe's at a later stage or play with this one until I am happy with it.


No comments:

Post a Comment