Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Sunday 20 October 2013

Griddle Scones

Although my next project is James' Birthday cake, I will post the odd thing here and there as I come across delicious or fun things to share with you. Like today! Gavin requested Griddle Scones for breakfast, they have a pancake taste to them (which adds to their sheer awesomeness in my opinion) and are quick and easy to create, making them perfect additions to weekend breakfasts when you need to whip something up in a hurry.

I personally think that Griddle Scones are incredibly underrated, hence my reason to share them with you.


I use the recipe from my good old Be-Ro book, I have fond childhood memories of my Mum baking from her Be-Ro book, when I left home to go to University, she made sure that I had my own copy :)




Ingredients:
225g Self Raising Flour
Pinch Salt
25g Lard
25g Caster Sugar
1 Medium Egg
Milk to make up to 150ml liquid with the egg

You mix together the flour and salt and rub in the lard. I actually never use lard for this, I just swap it out for butter or margarine, I think it gives it a richer buttery taste. After the lard/butter/margarine has been incorporated, the sugar goes in along with the egg (beaten) mixed with the milk.


You end up with a mixture that you can knead lightly and divide up into whatever shape you want. The recipe recommends that you shape them into circles and cut into four. By this time I am usually juggling other things cooking to go with them, so the lovely shapes tend to go out the window as I do not really think they matter anyway. Once shaped, they go onto the George Foreman Grill, along with a bit of flour to avoid it sticking.

At this stage, they tend to balloon up a bit, but it is all part of the deliciousness! They stay in the George Foreman for a few minutes until they look golden brown and massive.
Ready to serve, I usually pop a bit of butter on top and serve with Bacon, Egg and a cup of tea for a yummy filling breakfast - just what you need on a Sunday morning, or a Saturday morning, or any morning you like!
Hopefully you are convinced enough to give it a try, I know they have been a favourite in our house since the first time I made them.

No comments:

Post a Comment