Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Monday 16 February 2015

Lions are Ginger too!

Last week was a bit of a week from hell, not only was I unwell for the first part of the week - I also had two cakes to make in 1 week - short on time, I didn't really stop to take many photos. 

The first one I made was for a friend of mine, she ordered a lion cake, which had to be ginger - for her partner (the same recipient as the hippo cake last year). It was just a little cake, so it actually didn't take all that long and the components were fairly simple. 

I made a small chocolate cake with chocolate and ginger butter icing in the middle. I then covered the cake in yellow butter icing. 

I then cut out white circles, along with smaller black circles and slightly smaller white circles - for the eyes.

Using a small amount of brown colouring, I made the light brown circles for the cheeks and marked dots onto them. 

Colouring more icing dark brown, I was then able to make the eye brows, mouth, nose and ears. Happy that they were all in the right place, I stuck them down and piped on the whiskers. 

Finally I made the orange butter icing to make the ginger mane, using the star shaped piping nozzle, I created swirly hair for the mane. I also piped around the bottom of the cake, but you can't really see it from the photo.


Total Time Spent: 4 hours one of my quicker cakes
Useful Tips Gained: stick the cake to the board because it can move in the car - thankfully I managed to rectify the small amount of damage caused.
Items to Purchase: None
Items added to Amazon Wishlist: None
Miscellaneous Items Wished For: A Mannequin - but that's for sewing related purposes...





No comments:

Post a Comment