Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Sunday 15 April 2018

Cakes so far for 2018

I've done 3 cakes so far this year, so instead of being completely rubbish and not posting them until the end of the year, I'm trying to share them more often. 

The first one was for my sister, she turned 40. It might seem a little random, but she loves sloths,  and had a surprise Harry Potter themed Birthday Party, so the sloth cake needed to fit the part:


I created the fur using butter icing and used a nozzle on my icing piper gun that I also use for grass, it took ages but I think he looks so much better than just spreading it on with a knife and hoping for the best. The inside was angel cake too which is one of her favourite cakes. I was pretty happy with this one, she absolutely loved it and it went perfectly with the whole evening. Another fun point is that this was the first time I used my colouring airbrush that the hubby bought me for Christmas to colour the wooden branch he is holding onto and the cake board - so much fun to use and it makes colouring large areas look amazing! 

The second cake of the year was a last minute request that I took on for someone at work, they wanted one for their partner based on World of Warcraft. I felt a little mean because I tend to only take on cakes that I really want to do when it's a request rather than when I'm making it for friends and family, I had already rejected 2 of the initial ideas and whilst I know literally nothing about World of Warcraft this design seemed quite cool:



I used the airbrush gun to colour almost everything, the board, the black background of the cake and the wooden effect on the shield. the rest of it is hand painted in the gold and silver, then I added the red for the gory effect that Orcs supposedly have. I saw a video, the recipient seemed to like it.

The most recent cake was for one of our close friends, he turned 30 and has always loved Lego, so I've had this idea to do this cake for him for a little while. 


I ended up painting the bricks onto the board to give it a bit of cool colour that Lego always has. I cheated a bit and bought the Lego construction men to make it look like they were making the cake and that it was half done. I can't claim credit for the idea, I've seen so many variants of this, I just did it in my own style. You can't see it clearly but there's a big 30 on top of the cake made out of Lego bricks too. I added a cool twist to the inside of the cake too:


cool eh? When he was cutting the cake there was an ongoing joke about whether the cake was made out of individual blocks like the outside of the cake - I like the effect.

Until the next load of cakes :)

No comments:

Post a Comment