Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Sunday 19 February 2017

Catching Up!

Hello Dear Readers, 

It's been a while! 

So Weddings apparently take over your life somewhat and leaves you behind in all other life admin (Who Knew?!). I got so behind on The Bakerry that I have been putting off catching up on all my cakes - I'm sorry! I'm just going to do a quick run through of them to catch you up, they are in no particular order

A Very Civilized Cake:

You may or may not be familiar with the game Civilization, but the recipient of this cake, loves the game and so it was requested that I make them a themed cake. The game is made up of hexagons, each containing different things - farmland, water, etc. The three hexagons were 3 separate cakes, all different flavours.

Jurassic Park!:

 This has to be one of the best cakes I have ever made. It was fairly challenging, with the detail on the dinosaur skeleton and also making the claw out of white moulding chocolate then painting it up to actually look like a claw ripping through the sign took a great deal of time. This one was Gavin's cake, the year before last, he absolutely loved it. The flavour was honey and whisky, pretty damn tasty.

A Super Sparkly Frozen Cake:


If I took anything away from the Fireman Sam cake, it's that I hate doing faces of characters, I never get them as right as I want them, This one was no exception, many stressful hours fiddling with the eyes and the face shape - infuriating. The main thing was that the recipient was happy - and apparently she was over the moon and loved the sparkles. The first and last Elsa cake I'll be doing though.


2 Peas in a Pod:


This one was for a very special set of twins, a girl and a boy for their 1st birthday. This was a fun one to make, even if my hands were green for a couple of days afterwards. around the outside there were little girl and boy peas. The inside was marble cake - blue and pink.


An Elephantastic Birthday:

I did this one for my Sister-in-Law, she loves elephants so I made a little family of elephants, even with a little baby elephant holding a bunny, similar to our little niece, who is never without it.I did cute little trees around the outside too.

Why wouldn't you want a Castle Cake?!:


I made this one for my Mum, she loves the TV Show Castle, the main character is a writer who helps solve crimes, which is why it's a book and a crime scene all in one. This one was extra tricky as my Mum is Gluten Free, so I did have a little fight with the sponge when shaping it, but I got there in the end. 

Ooonne Hundred aaand Eightyyyy, oh no, just 40:

There was so much stress that cake with doing this cake. Not only did I have to try and get all of the pieces even and fitting together and piping the numbers, but I also had to get it to where the 40th celebrations were happening - It was for my Brother-in-law, who lives about an hour and a half away. Talk about a long journey - we made it though, and the cake was in 1 piece. I also made darts out of white chocolate and put them in to make up 40, but for some reason, I don't have a picture.

It's a 50th Cake - Watch Out!:


So I followed up a precise birthday cake that had me tearing my hair out at times, with an even more precise cake! I absolutely love this cake though, I made it for my Father-in-law, for his 50th Birthday, he collects watches. Although the precise piping was a pain, I enjoyed the shaping and painting of the cake and I think it worked really well.

Gotta Eat it all...Pokemon!:

I've added 4 pictures of this one, because there's 4 very different sides
 Bulbasaur and his leafy green side

 Pikachu and his electric side

 Squirtle and his watery side, as well as the side of Charmander and his fiery side

This was for my Brother-in-law, who hasn't had a cake from me since the League of Legends cake, years ago. He is usually away for his birthday and this year he was here. Seeing as his Pokemon obsession had been reignited with Pokemon Go, I made this cake. The characters are made from Fimo, the rest of edible. I even hid sweets in the middle as a little surprise. 


Our Wedding Cake!:

Despite a fairly obviously busy year with cakes and wedding preparations - I also insisted on making our Wedding Cake (have you forgiven me for the lack of posts last year yet??!). I refused to pay for something that I could create at a fraction of the price and it would look like how I wanted it to look. 
 I can't take credit for the topper, this was a gift to us from a work colleague and friend and fits beautifully with the theme. Our wedding was Silver and Turquoise colour theme with Ferris Wheels.
I couldn't just leave it at that though, I had to go the extra mile to make it a little more Geeky - mostly through Gavin's request, the back looked like this:

For anyone unfamiliar with any of the tiers, you have Kane (WWE, for Gav's love of Wrestling), Red Ranger (Power Rangers, a beloved childhood favourite for both of us), Spiderman (Gav's all time favourite super hero), Raphael (TMNT, whom we also named our dog after) and a computer mouse (for our love of games).
Each tier was a different flavour, Mint Chocolate, Honey and Whisky, Chocolate and Madeira.
I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Formula 21:

So the year didn't stop there with cakes! Next up was my other Brother-in-law's 21st! I honestly cannot stand Formula 1, the noise, the rules, the cars, so I was not exactly excited at the prospect of completing this cake. But by breaking it down the car wasn't so hard and in the end I'm pretty happy with how it looked. I even made the inside look pretty awesome:


The last cake of the year was yet another big birthday, 2016 was a big year!

Gavin's Great 30th Birthday!:


This cake was all about Gavin's favourite things, from dinosaurs to tea, from Doctor Who to Battlestar Galactica, from Linkin Park to Mass Effect, all the important things are there. To top it off, the inside of the cake was genius if I do say so myself; a pretzel crumb base, with a layer of moist chocolate cake, then a layer of chocolate chip cheesecake, then another layer of the crumb base and another layer of chocolate cake - delicious and followed the theme!

Finally, the first cake of 2017 and the last I have to catch you up on.

Rupert The Bear Cake:
I made this for a friend's Dad, they requested it for his 50th Birthday. I based it on the cover of the books, as his Dad has collected them for years. I painted the background and made Rupert from icing. The cake itself is in a shape of a closed book. The spine says Happy 50th Birthday. He loved it so much that he called me to tell me how much he loved it.

So that's what I have been up to in the cake world - when I put it into writing, it's quite a lot, I have more to come this year, so I'll be better - I promise. 

Glad to be back :)

No comments:

Post a Comment