Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Saturday 26 April 2014

The Best Brownies

Every month, at work, each team takes it in turns to bake cakes to sell for charity. This month was my team's turn and I decided to make Brownies, I thought I would share my recipe for these delicious things, they are one of my favourites :)

Ingredients:
150g Unsalted Butter
200g Light Brown Suguar
100g Dark Brown Sugar
4 Eggs
75g Cocoa
150g Plain Flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
pinch of salt
200g Milk Chocolate

I love baking Brownies, I love the process, the smell of them baking and eating them when they are still warm! The trick to a good Brownie is good quality chocolate. Without fail I will always make Brownies with Dairy Milk Chocolate (unless I'm making a variation, but more on that later!). 

I usually start off by preheating the oven to about 190°C. I find it easier to make sure that the Chocolate is chopped before starting anything else too, just so that you know everything is ready to go the minute all of the ingredients are combined. 


 Now you can start baking!

First of all, melt the butter over a low heat and add the sugar, keep on the heat and mix until combined. Then sift the flour, cocoa, bicarb and salt together in a bowl.


Add the melted butter and sugar mix to the dry ingredients and stir well. In a separate bowl/jug/cup/whatever you can lay your hands on, beat the eggs and add to the mixture, give it another good stir.


As the mixture is still warm at this point, you need to work quickly through the next part. Add the chocolate chunks to the mixture and quickly stir them in (just quickly, otherwise those chocolate chunks will melt into your brownie mixture and whilst it will still be delicious, you will also be chunkless).


Quickly spoon the mixture into your baking tin and pop into the oven. In my fan assisted oven, they usually take about 10-15 minutes. you are looking for a nice bouncy top but not too firm.


I usually add a dusting of icing sugar too, just to give it that little extra sweetness on top. 

You can do different variations, adding different types of chocolate or adding white chocolate chunks. The variation I did alongside this one was a mint chocolate brownie. Instead of Dairy Milk, I used Nestle Aero Mint and I added a good splash of peppermint flavouring to the beaten eggs before adding it to the chocolate mixture. The possibilities are endless, but I will always come back to the usual chocolate brownie, in my opinion, no other variations can beat it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment