Next project

A Blog of Yumness



NEXT PROJECT: Coming Soon!

Tuesday 4 February 2014

Cake on Fire with Fireman Sam

The Project: Birthday Cake for a 4 year old
The Theme: Fireman Sam
Ingredients:
For The Cake:
30cm tin
20oz Sugar
20oz Margerine
20oz Self Raising Flour
10 Eggs
For the Icing:
Jam for the middle
Plain Butter Icing for the middle
3 packs of White Royal Icing
Peach Colouring Paste
Yellow Colouring Paste
Black Colouring Paste
Red Colouring Paste
Blue Colouring Paste
Blue Decorators Pen - edible ink
Gold Edible Paint

I'm not going to lie, I had some fairly worrying dreams about this cake going horribly wrong, so I started off slightly stressed out about this cake. There were ups and downs involved, including an hour where I mostly hated Fireman Sam, thankfully it all came together in the end and I was really pleased with the result.

I was given a picture of a cake that had already been done by someone else to base this cake on. I kept closely  to the design but instead of using a Fireman Sam transfer, I created him myself out of icing. 

I skipped the pictures of baking, cooling and icing the base - as it's a simple circle - you have all seen it before :)


I was most worried about creating Fireman Sam out of icing so he was the first thing I wanted to make. The theory being that I would relax about the rest of the cake. Fireman Sam was made out of yellow icing for the trousers and a blue jacket. He also has buttons, an arm band and is holding the fire hose. 


Next, I made his face. This is where I started to panic about getting him right. Fireman Sam has changed so much over the years, more recently he has been completely redone to look more complicated. I ended up copying the cartoon face and made a little brown for the hair and a darker peach for the mouth. Although this is where I spent approximately an hour (not included in the total time spent) fretting about the expression on his face.


I created his helmet (after a fair few failed attempts of it being too big or too small) and stuck him onto the cake. Then I made the red hosepipe out of icing and draped it from the nozzle and off the cake.


I needed a break from staring at Fireman Sam, frankly at this point, I hated the sight of him, so I concentrated on the other side of the cake - the fire. I cut strips of white, red and orange icing. I decided to avoid the yellow icing so that I could paint it yellow with a little red to create a flame look.


I painted some flames directly onto the cake too, to give it a little depth.


Happy with the flames, I went back to Fireman Sam to make his hands and feet.


I then painted the buttons and the nozzle to the hose gold before sticking down the hands. Finally, I cut out droplets of water from some light blue icing and drew on the spray using the edible decorators pen. 


Using Fimo, I made stars and letters to make up the child's name and their age and baked them. 

My plan was to attach them to candles and have them lined up along the top of the cake to look like a continuation of the fire. I managed to get them attached to the candles, but one of them fell off so they were stuck to the cake instead.


All in all, I was happy with the outcome :) I am also looking forward to using Fimo on more cakes in the future. maybe to create little figures on cakes, some interesting food for thought for future designs!

Total Time Spent: 6 Hours
Useful Tips Gained: Painting directly onto icing to create a different effect
Kitchen Items to Purchase: I did not need a piping bag for this one, but I do still need to purchase one.
Items Added to Amazon Wishlist: More Fimo
Miscellaneous Items Wished For: More of those decorative pens!

No comments:

Post a Comment